Gap Year: How to Use It to Your Advantage
Gap years can help you gain focus and test drive key points of study in college and career beyond graduation. Skillfully leveraging this time off to attain internships or volunteer work will help you determine your academic and career direction.
Making your gap year a focused time of discovery will also allow you to understand what makes you happy. Happiness in the workplace and a sense of purpose are the keys to self confidence and overall sense of self worth. You will be spending more than a third of your life working so being happy in what you do is critical.
Treat your decision to take a gap year very seriously. Stay productive so as to find your passions and skills and apply them to determine the right fit following college or beyond.
What are the key activities you should participate in during your gap year?
- Assess your mind mapping exercise as a starting point in determining your passions and skills best fit for your career.
- Research opportunities in the fields of your passion and skills. What is out there and what are employees saying regarding key companies in your field.
- Create your resume with relative activities or studies that can allow you to break into your area of interest.
- Use tools like GlassDoor to find out what employees are saying about their experiences in companies that align with your interest.
- Network to find advocates that you can leverage for key contacts and to open the doors for you in the hiring process.
Remember, the gap year is not a vacation from college or school in general. It is an opportunity to focus your learning in school and your best fit in the workforce. Use it wisely and you will be glad you did. Let Job-Lander help you create a plan and target the right path for your future success.
Hey — Want More Help?
No matter what's happening in your life at work — or the life of someone you love who hates their job — a 30-minute chat with me can help you get unstuck and move forward, fast.
Just hit the button below, and pick a date and time that's available. Answer a few short questions, and then I'll call you at the time you picked. There's nothing to prepare - just show up right where you are. If, after we talk, it sounds like one of my coaching programs or courses will help you going forward, I'll share details after our call. There's no pressure - my goal is to be helpful immediately.
Spots fill up fast, so schedule yours now and start getting the support you deserve.